Q1 2016 statistics show 34,382 securities listed on ISE markets
- Listings on ISE markets grow to almost 34,400 securities
- Equity trades reach record levels and turnover rises by 26% as ISE extends its strategic partnership with Deutsche Börse
- Venn Life Sciences adds euro quotation on joining the Enterprise Securities Market
- NTMA lists first ever 100-year Irish Government security as bond market activity remains strong
- ISE Fund Hub expands services to Irish domiciled funds
Listings on ISE markets grow to almost 34,400 securities
Quarterly statistics published by the Irish Stock Exchange (ISE) today show that the ISE has almost 34,400 securities from over 4,000 issuers in 80 countries around the globe on its markets at the end of March 2016.
New debt securities admitted in the first quarter of 2016 were 1,389, increasing the number of bond listings on the ISE’s two debt markets – the Global Exchange Market (GEM) and the Main Securities Market (MSM) to 27,265 (Q4 2015: 27,094).
Among the global companies listing new debt instruments on the ISE during Q1 2016 were:
- Ferrari, Italy’s luxury car manufacturer, which listed a €500m bond, its first debt issuance since its IPO in October 2015
- Two Nordic bank issuers, Norwegian savings bank Sparebanken, and Danish mortgage credit institution BRFkredit, a subsidiary of Jyske Bank, which both issued new €500m covered bonds
- Vodafone Group plc, the worldwide telecommunications provider, which listed a stg£600m bond on GEM
- Aercap, the world’s largest independent aircraft leasing company, which issued €1bn in debt securities
- Alliance Data Systems, the global provider of data-driven marketing and loyalty solutions, which issued a €300m bond due in 2023.
There were 307 new investment fund classes admitted in the first three months, bringing the number of funds on the MSM to just over 7,000 at the end of Q1 2016 (end 2015: 7,123).
Some notable listings in the first quarter in 2016 included Systematic IQ and EFG-Hermes as well a large number of new ETFs from providers such as Vanguard, Source and UBS.
Equity trades reach record levels and turnover rises by 26% as ISE extends its strategic partnership with Deutsche Börse
Data on turnover and number of trades showed a strong interest from investors in equity trading on the ISE’s market. Share turnover topped €25.7bn, an increase of 25.9% on Q4 2015 levels and trades executed reached an all-time high for a quarter at 1.9m trades (up 24.3%).
The average daily turnover for equities stood at €415m per day in Q1 2016, a rise of 30.1% on the previous quarter and also 9.2% higher than the same period in 2015.
The ISE’s electronic trading infrastructure for equities is provided by Deutsche Börse (DB) under a long standing partnership agreement. In February the ISE agreed to renew this successful strategic relationship and extended its use of DB’s trading technology and related services to 2021.
Venn Life Sciences adds euro quotation on joining the Enterprise Securities Market
Venn Life Sciences, the growing Contract Research Organisation (CRO) joined the ISE’s Enterprise Securities Market (ESM) in January. Venn Life Sciences utilised the ESM’s dual listing fast track regime with the London Stock Exchange’s AIM enabling it to obtain a euro quotation on the ISE and expand its investor base with access to euro pools of capital.
It joins other companies in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors on the ISE’s markets – Malin Corporation, Mainstay Medical and Merrion Pharmaceuticals and is the 13th new listing on the ISE’s equity markets since 2013.
ISEQ index down 7% amid turbulent global markets
The ISEQ Overall index fell by 7.1% to 6,309 (end 2015: 6,792) during the first quarter of 2016, reflecting turbulent global markets which saw most global indices deliver negative returns including the DAX in Germany which was down 7.2% and Europe’s E300 which fell by 7.7% over the same period.
NTMA lists first ever 100-year Irish Government security as bond market activity remains strong
Trading levels in Irish Government bonds and treasury bills grew during the quarter with turnover rising to €75.8bn (+72.7% up on Q4 2015 levels) and the number of trades in the first quarter (16.5k) also showing increased activity (+22.6%).
The NTMA issued the Irish State’s first 100-year bond in March raising €100m and offering global investors a 2.35% yield. Following the issuance, market capitalisation for Irish Government securities stood at €124bn (end 2015: €119.4bn).
ISE Fund Hub expands services to Irish domiciled funds
The ISE is now offering the 6,000 Irish funds and sub-funds domiciled in Ireland as well as the almost 2,000 ISE-listed funds, the opportunity to have their fund information displayed on ISE Fundhub, the ISE’s information portal for investment funds. ISE Fund Hub enables professional investors to access fund data in one central location and easily compare fund performance.
- In February, the ISE won #1 Best Medium Workplace in Ireland in the Great Place to Work 2016 Awards (for organisations with 100 - 300 employees).
- Also during February, the ISE appointed Dan Gallagher, a former Commissioner of the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), as a Non-Executive Director to the ISE Board.