Quarterly statistics show >33,700 securities listed on ISE markets
- 33,700 securities from 82 countries around the globe listed on ISE markets
- Strong trading in Irish shares continues
- Applegreen and Permanent TSB listings raise €470m
- ISEQ up 18% in first half of 2015
- Strong activity in Irish Government bonds and treasury bills
33,700 securities from 82 countries around the globe listed on ISE markets
Quarterly statistics published by the Irish Stock Exchange (ISE) today show that the ISE had more than 33,700 securities from over 4,100 issuers in 82 countries around the globe on its markets at the end of June 2015.
The Global Exchange Market (GEM), one of the ISE’s two markets for debt listings, also reached an important milestone when securities on this market exceeded 7,000 for the first time.
New debt securities admitted in Q2 2015 amounted to 2,088 (Q1: 1,691). Among the new bonds and debt instruments listed were issuers such as:
- Spanish airline Iberia which raised €125m from a new corporate bond,
- French automotive parts manufacturer Faurecia, a subsidiary of Peugeot which raised €500m, and
- Italian broadcaster Radio Televisione Italiana which listed its first ever bond (€350m) on the ISE’s Main Securities Market (MSM).
Irish based companies listing debt securities in the second quarter included:
- Trinity Biotech, the international diagnostics company, which listed a US$100m corporate bond on the MSM, and
- Permanent TSB, which issued two debt instruments during the quarter and raised €425m on top of their equity fund raising.
Fund classes also rose by 163 bringing the number of funds on the MSM to 7,530 (Q4: 7,367).
Strong trading in Irish shares continues
The very strong levels of activity in the trading of Irish shares continued into Q2 2015 with over 1.2m equity trades done on the ISE’s electronic trading platform in the quarter to June 2015. This brings the total for the first six months of 2015 to 2.7m, 20% more than the first half of 2014.
Turnover of €20.1bn in equity shares reflected a solid performance in Q2 2015 and combined with the Q1 figures was 38.5% ahead of the €31.8bn recorded during the first half of last year. The average daily turnover for equities stood at €330m per day in Q2.
Applegreen and Permanent TSB listings raise €470m
Companies listed on the ISE’s equity markets raised a total of €504m during Q2 2015.
Applegreen, the major petrol forecourt retailer, raised €70 million through its initial public offering (IPO) on joining the Enterprise Securities Market (ESM) in June. Permanent TSB Group Holdings, the retail bank, transferred its listing to the MSM in May and raised €400m.
These admissions during Q2 bring the total number of companies quoted on the MSM to 27 and the ESM to 27.
ISEQ up 18% in the first half of 2015
The ISEQ Overall Index continued its positive performance and reached 6,165 at the end of June 2015 (end 2014: 5,225). This 18% increase in the first half of 2015 is on the back of a 15.1% rise in 2014.
The ISEQ20 index, which comprises 20 of the most liquid and largest companies on the ISE, increased by 2% in Q2 and 17.8% over the first six months of 2015. WisdomTree a world-leading provider of exchange traded funds with more than $58bn in assets under management (AUM) globally is tracking the ISEQ20 through its WisdomTree ISEQ 20® UCITS exchange traded fund (the ETF). The ETF was admitted to trading in April.
Strong activity in Irish Government bonds and treasury bills
Data on turnover and number of trades showed a strong interest from investors in Irish Government bonds and treasury bills during the quarter. Turnover reached €54.9bn in Q2, bringing the total for the first half to €160bn, an increase of 28% on the first half of 2014.
The number of trades in the first half (39k) increased by 29.4% on the same period last year.
Market capitalisation for Irish Government securities now stands at €115.9bn (end Q1: €120.2bn).