Quarterly statistics show 34,200 securities listed on ISE markets
- 34,200 securities from 80 countries around the globe listed on ISE markets
- Trading in Irish shares up 29% year-on-year at end Q3 2015
- ISEQ up 18% in first nine months of 2015
- Strong activity in Irish Government bonds and treasury bills
34,200 securities from 80 countries around the globe listed on ISE markets
Quarterly statistics published by the Irish Stock Exchange (ISE) today show that the ISE had more than 34,200 securities from over 4,100 issuers in 80 countries around the globe on its markets at the end of September 2015.
New debt securities admitted in the first nine months of 2015 amounted to 5,429 (Q3 2014: 5,078), bringing the total up to more than 26,000 debt listings.
Among the new debt instruments listed during Quarter 3 were issuers from China, North America, the Middle East and Europe. These included:
- A €300m debt security listed by Beijing Energy Investment Holdings Limited, the Chinese state-owned investment enterprise
- A £400m debt listing from Kraft Heinz, the US food company
- DirecTV, the US entertainment group which listed three new securities of £750m, £350m and €500m
- A $575m debt instrument listed by Mexico’s federal electricity commission
- Italian airline, Alitalia, which listed a €375m security
- Danica Pension, the pension arm of Denmark’s Danske Bank, which listed a €500m bond.
Irish insurer FBD also listed a debt security of €70m during the quarter.
An additional 1,082 new fund classes were admitted in the first nine months, bringing the number of funds on the MSM to 7,503 (end 2014: 7,367).
Strong trading in Irish shares continues
The very strong levels of activity in the trading of Irish shares continued with over 1.4m equity trades executed on the ISE’s electronic trading platform in the quarter to September 2015. This brings the total for the first nine months of 2015 to 4m, 22% more than the same period in 2014.
Turnover of €19.7bn in equity shares reflected a solid performance in Q3 2015 and delivered turnover for the first nine months of 2015 of €64bn – 29% ahead of the same period last year. The average daily turnover for equities stood at €299m per day in Q3.
ISEQ up 18% in the first nine months of 2015
The ISEQ Overall Index reached 6,167 at the end of September 2015 (end 2014: 5,225). This 18% gain in the first nine months of 2015 is on the back of a 15.1% rise in 2014.
The ISEQ20 index, comprised of the 20 most liquid and largest companies on the ISE, increased by 18.7% over the first nine months of 2015.
Strong activity in Irish Government bonds and treasury bills
Data on turnover and number of trades showed a strong interest from investors in Irish Government bonds and treasury bills during the quarter. Turnover topped €40.9bn in Q3, bringing the total for the first nine months to €201bn, 10% higher than the first nine months of 2014.
The number of trades in the first nine months (53k) was up 21.6% on the same period last year.
Market capitalisation for Irish Government securities now stands at €118.8bn (end 2014: €110.3bn).